Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Marley And Me

My family especially, my papa, always loved dogs. We grew up with dogs as part of the family already. Well we really don’t own a pure bred but none the less we still have dogs. Yes we love our mutts. At the moment both my parents who are going into their senior years grew their affection to dogs. We have four dogs right now, not a single pure bred but my parents, including me love them. Doesn’t matter really dogs are not bothered with their breed. So we don’t make a fuzz over it. And the silliest of them all is our dear puppy Panda. Who loves all of our attention, especially mine. He loves to be tickled and scratch and when the other doggies come rushing in he makes sure he gets the top spot of being pet and scratch. Because of him all the older doggies have learned to play again because he loves to nag them. But we are happy that they are not giving us any problems to us. As long as they get to play in mama’s garden which makes them very happy.





Yes my blog today is something related to pets, dogs in particular. It was the holidays last year when I heard of the movie “Marley and Me”. I knew that it was one of the holiday films people went to watched. There is no doubt about that because it is a family oriented movie which everyone can relate to especially for dog lovers. My sister, Danielle, who is living in Florida, told us to watch the movie because it really is a good one. She and husband Gary has two dogs, a very lively yellow Labrador named Puka and a golden retriever who they adopted named Sissy who is in her senior years. Well the film did get here early March. I was so eager to watch it no doubt because I was intrigued about it. There were a lot of movies released before which has dogs as the main character but I was never a big fan of those films. I mean I am not keen on talking dogs or animals unless they are animated. But this film was something else. I was about to watch it when I saw something in the bookstore. The film that I am intrigued about is based on a book? Well I never realized that. And wait, it is on the non-fiction section of the bookstore. So that really got me intrigued. I decided to skip watching the film, wait for the dvd release, and read the book first. Well needless to say I did not pick the book right there and then because I was already reading something else at that time. As I always say “One book at a time.”



So I finally got the book a week ago, and at that time got a dvd copy of “Marley and Me”. I really did stick to my gun, read the book first and then watch the dvd. Not the other way around. Well there is no doubt a book always give more details then films. So I did. A week of reading was over and today I watched the film with my niece Kate and mama. I already told them well brace yourself this dog on the film is quite familiar. And they did agree. My sister who has a yellow Labrador, Puka is as lively as Marley. My sister is happy because Puka is not that naughty though. But she loves to chew on everything and anything and has a lot of energy as well. I already read the book so I knew how it would end. And yes it was a very sad one. We cried watching that part when Marley have to be put down to sleep. I know everyone cried watching that scene when John was stroking Marley as he slowly drifts away to dog heaven.



I know a lot of us can learn a lot from this story. All of us can relate to it especially people who love their pets especially their dogs. Nothing in this world last forever so cherish every moment while you still have them. But there is something more profound than just a story about a man and his best friend. If you have read the book John wrote;



Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things- a walk on the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap is a shaft of winter sunlight, and as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.”

I believe we too need to learn these things in life. Sometimes we complicate life too much and not realizing that JOY is just at our doorstep. Knocking all of the time but we are just too busy to listen to it. Good thing to know that we are reminded through this story, through a dog named Marley.

This is to all the Marleys and Johns.


This is to finding simple JOYS in our LIVES.


M.

You can earn extra money here:

https://paydotcom.com/r/13690/davidgregs/22805315/

No comments: