Sunday, June 21, 2009

CRY TO HEAVEN - A Book Review

How do you put ethereal voices in words? How can you describe so much beauty that only the ears will try to comprehend and savor? How can you write tunes so that readers can get overwhelmed with its immensity and power? How?

How I wish I can post a sonata or an aria while you are reading this book review, for I want to describe all the words written for the sake of the voices behind this book. A passionate story behind the voice of a castrato in one of Anne Rice’s novel “Cry To Heaven”. This story all took place in beautiful Italy, where art and passion never cease. Within the canals of Venice a boy named Tonio born to the Doge is trapped within the walls of a castle and the secrets of his family which lead him to become one of the most sought after castrati in the whole of Italy. A voice with so much passion, love and sadness. And as Tonio brought everyone into their knees as he open his mouth to sing, he on the other hand sings for his consumed longing of freedom, revenge and love.

This novel would have to be the longest one I had read to date. But I did not regret reading its immensity. Only an author like Anne Rice can ever write such passion and darkness in its pages that it will want you to know more. Like Tonio who has become a eunuch, sexless in a way, no longer a man yet not enough to be a woman this novel go beyond gender for the sake of passion. Such beauty written, such grandeur in its pages, and an overwhelming sound and voices wrapped me as I devour page after page. Pages that have deadly secrets that will stun readers as much as it stunned the characters of the story. Truly this novel is an EPIC!

I invite everyone to read this novel, especially for artists for I believe this is dedicated to them. I was intimidated with its pages I won’t deny that but as I went through it I found out I just could not have enough of it. There is family drama, there is deadly plots, alcohol, women, men, eunuchs, opera, the list goes on to make this massive story so …………….. MAGNIFICENT!! And only Anne Rice can ever describe ethereal voices in ink. Because of her this novel will certainly be one of the most passionate reads I ever had.


“It was horror of this world that a thousand evil were visited on those who were blameless and no one was ever punished, and side by side the greatest promise was nothing but misery and want. Children mutilated to make choir of seraphim, their song a cry to heaven that heaven did not hear.”

-Tonio

Cry To Heaven by Anne Rice

And before I end this review I want you to view this youtube video from one of the popular Italian movies about castrati Farinelli so that you will be able to see a glimpse of what I have read.

A four out of five star rating.


M.

No comments: