Saturday, June 27, 2009

my sister's keeper- A Book Review




I want to begin this book review with a poem which hangs on my mama’s kitchen:


“Family ties are precious threads
No matter where we roam, they draw us close to those we love
And pull our hearts back home.”



How do you mend a torn family? You sew it back TOGETHER.


The book that I just read goes through the life of a typical family that is going through one tough trial. The Fitgerald -going through a trial in the face of a daughter, a sibling, a sister who has a rare case of leukemia. “My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Picoult is a heartbreaking story of how a family copes with a circumstance that they are trying to save but in truth it is truly out of their hands. Kate who is diagnosed with a rare case of leukemia at an early aged depended much on her younger sister Anna for all of her medical needs from blood transfusions to bone marrow transplant. Existential to keep Kate alive. But what happens when one day Anna says….NO MORE. What happens then? More importantly why is Anna doing it? This turmoil breaks their family apart even more but at the end binds them even closer. What happened to Kate? What happened to Anna? Who is the “sister’s keeper”? These are the questions you will have to find out through reading this heartbreaking story.


I always go to the New York Times best sellers website so I can take a peek on the books that are good reads. And yes this is one of them. I saw it in the book store but I hesitated to get it at that time because I can feel tragedy in the story. So I skipped it. But then I heard that the motion picture based on the book is gaining popularity and have good reviews as well, and so I decided to grab the book before I go and see the film. No wonder that both the book and the film have gained and is gaining popularity because this story will make you wonder…..WHY? WHY IS ANNA DOING THIS? AND WHY NOW WHEN HER SISTER, KATE NEEDS HER MOST? In the end everything will reveal itself, as I scan through the last few pages of the book I wept, wept like I never wept before through reading a story. And I know I will weep once again when I will see the film.

This book is for families going through struggles, for moms and dads who will do everything and anything for their children, for couples torn by uncontrolled circumstances, for siblings, for sisters whose love for each other is beyond feeling and living.

I give this book a four out of five star rating.

To watch the movie trailer click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdZZLdjBfCI&feature=fvst

M.

No comments: