Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Review: Falling Angels



My current read "Falling Angels" another Tracy Chevalier novel is like its title no doubting on it. The novel kept on falling and falling like Angels who had their wings clipped.

A brief view of the plot of the novel. It is based on two families separated with their views with society. How do two families meet when one is a conservative Victorian and the other a modern Edwardian? It is suppose to chronicle their lives but it simply just fell fell fell out of grace.

The novel was a disappointment for me because I already realized that Tracy Chevalier writes in a slow pace. She wants vivid backdrops to her characters like "A Girl With A Pearl Earring" and after introducing her characters then she simply drops the conflict(s) in the story which gets you glued in but the disappointment for this story is very bad because the conflicts/twists are there but it seems like the author got tired of writing and just left it in oblivion. I hated it!

The only good thing in it is this quote:

"I have spent my life waiting for something to happen, she said. And I come to understand that nothing will. Or it already has and I blinked during that moment and it's gone. I don't know which is worse- to have missed it or to know there is nothing to miss."

Gertrude Waterhouse

I give this book an unsavoury 2 stars out of five.

Onto the next book.

M.

No comments: