Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review: Wicked


It has been quite a long time....well a very long time since I have written a book review. Seems like ages. I have been very busy and sadly I took a short break from reading because there are things that need more attention.

Anyway so much for that here I am again in my first book review of the year. Hehehe. Took a while but at least Im back.


Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

Vicious! Vicious! Vicious!

Is that how we all can define the infamous wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz? Truly there is is no other way we can call her after every nasty thing she has done especially to sweet Dorothy? She is not only wicked to our eyes but also vicious!

But is she really?

This would not be the first time that I have read the book it was Feb 2008 when I first read it but then again I forgot the whole story after three years though I still know the core. So I decided to read it again and what a story it is I must say. I was captivated then and still is.

So what is in the story and why is it so captivating anyway? As we always say there are two sides to A Story and Gregory Maguire certainly written the side of the story of the Wicked Witch of the West or Elphalba.

She hated herself in a lot of ways, if you were born green wouldn't you? Still she coped with what she had and did her best to excel in everything she does though at times she fails but never gave up. She has wrapped herself in a facade of being wicked to hide away her pains but in reality she only longs to be appreciated and loved which at the end drove her to her painful death.

I think this story strikes a chord to many among us because all of us only need appreciation and love in life. She was simply misunderstood by many but she simply never lied to herself. Behind the wickedness was a gentle green person hoping that someday she too can experience LIFE.

It is a beautiful story which gives a new light to the Wizard of Oz, the yellow brick road will never be the same again once you have read this story because in reality there are two sides of a story.

I give this book a five out of five stars!

M.

No comments: